Wednesday, December 16, 2009

God Knows My Thoughts

No joke, last week I wanted to go home. I was entertaining the thought of going home with my mom and sister after they visit. Of course I wouldn't break a contract like that, but I was just fed up with a lot of things...on top of a nasty cold which is like number 8 or 9 in the list of sicknesses I've gotten since coming back in September.

But this weekend I was invited to the wedding of one of my student's cousins. We took a 2 1/2 hour train ride to Hai Phong, east of Ha Noi. The ride was spectactular. Although one of the most uncomfortable 2 1/2 hours of my life, the scenery whipping by was breathtaking. The rice fields, houses, tropical plants, rivers, small mountains. The sun began to set turning the sky beautiful orange and pink colors. I almost cried thinking about leaving this country!

 We arrived after dark, had a delicious crab dinner, then took a relaxing walk around the center of town. The parks and rides reminded me of being back in the US! Plus, we had great conversation about careers and family and happiness. Much needed. The wedding the next day was a blast! Even though I can't speak much Vietnamese, I still felt like part of the family...eating deep fried frog (not just legs) like a pro!

Upon returning home, a student stopped by my house because he needed someone to talk to about his recent relationship break up. Although I was sad about the break up, I was a little happy that my students trust me so much!

I am so thankful that God knew exactly what I needed to experience to remind me how AMAZING Vietnam is, how much I LOVE my students, and WHERE He wants me to be for now.








No comments: